The Ultimate Guide to Coordinating Family Outfits for Holiday Photos
Hello there, dear families! The holiday season is fast approaching, and that means it’s time for cherished family traditions, twinkling lights, and, of course, the annual holiday portrait session. As a mother myself, I know how important it is to capture those precious moments with your loved ones. To make things easier for you, I’ve put together some fantastic color palettes that match the aesthetic and vibes of my 2023 Holiday Mini sessions. You’ll also find tons of tips for choosing the right outfits for your family.
Planning Your Coordinating Family Outfits for Holiday Photos
So, what should you wear for family photos? Dress in a way that reflects your family’s unique style and personality while staying within the chosen color palette. This will ensure your holiday portraits are a beautiful reflection of your family’s warmth and love.
For a family Christmas photoshoot, incorporate festive elements like Santa hats, cozy blankets, or ornaments as props to add a touch of holiday magic to your session.
Remember, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to what colors to wear for Christmas pictures. It’s all about choosing palettes that resonate with your family’s style and the holiday ambiance you want to capture.
When coordinating outfits for family photos, aim for a balanced mix of colors and avoid overwhelming patterns or overly bright colors. This will help create a harmonious and visually pleasing composition.
To make matching family outfits, start with a central color from the chosen palette and build around it. Mix and match different shades and tones within the palette to create a cohesive yet unique look for each family member.
As for what colors not to wear in family photos, try to avoid overly flashy or clashing colors that may distract from the family’s connection and the overall composition of the photo.
Now that we’ve covered all the helpful styling tips. Here are 15 beautiful color palettes to choose from. Each of these were created specifically with my 2023 Holiday Mini Sessions in mind. If you’re still looking for a photographer for your Holiday Minis, check out this page which has all of the details for my Holiday Mini Portrait Sessions which take place in Pittsburgh on November 18th. There are still some spots available, so secure yours before they’re gone!
15 Stunning Color Palettes for Your Family Portraits
1. Boho Fall – Yes, yes, I know – this is a Holiday shoot, not Fall! However, you can embrace the warm and earthy hues of autumn with rust oranges, deep reds, mustard yellows, and olive greens. This palette exudes a cozy and inviting feel, perfect for the style of this year’s studio.
2. Tan + Blue – This palette combines the warmth of tan with the coolness of blue, creating a balanced and comforting atmosphere for your family photos.
3. Shades of Green – A monochromatic palette featuring various shades of green brings harmony and a natural feel to your family portraits.
4. November Chill – Capture the cozy essence of November with this palette. Grey, navy, and cocoa brown create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
5. Neutral Mauve – Mauve and neutral shades blend together for a soft and romantic palette that’s perfect for a family portrait session.
6. Navy, Green, + Neutrals – Navy green, combined with soft neutrals, offers a balanced and sophisticated look that works well in both indoor and outdoor settings.
7. Light Blue + Khaki – Create a soft and airy atmosphere with light blue and khaki. This palette is ideal for a winter wonderland-themed photoshoot.
8. Holiday Cheer – Embrace the festive spirit with rich emerald green and deep burgundy. This palette radiates holiday cheer and is perfect for capturing the magic of the season.
9. Earthy Tones – Connect with nature using earthy tones like terracotta, forest green, and warm browns. This palette is perfect for an outdoor session in a natural setting.
10. Dusty Rose + Green – Soft and romantic, dusty rose paired with shades of green adds a touch of femininity and freshness to your family portraits.
11. Dark Neutrals – Go for a modern and sleek look with a combination of deep charcoal, navy, and black. Dark neutrals create a stunning contrast against the bright studio.
12. Copper + Cream – Warm and inviting, copper and cream complement each other beautifully. This palette brings a touch of elegance and coziness to your holiday photos.
13. Classic + Cool – Stick to the basics with rich brown, deep burgundy, navy, and shades of cream. This palette exudes sophistication and is versatile for any setting or theme.
14. Bronze + Sage – Elegant and understated, this palette pairs rich bronze with soft sage green. It creates a timeless and sophisticated look that’s great for a classic holiday portrait.
15. Slate Blue + Green – Slate blue paired with different shades of green evokes a serene and tranquil ambiance, perfect for a peaceful holiday photoshoot.
Now that you have these tips and color palettes at your disposal, you’re well-prepared to create stunning holiday portraits that capture the essence of your family’s love and togetherness. Enjoy your photo session, and may your holiday season be filled with warmth, joy, and beautiful memories! I cannot wait to see you! If you still need a spot for my Holiday Minis – click this link right away! I know these will sell out again.